How frequently you should service your AC unit depends on whether you have installed a new one or using one of those outdated versions. Both require regular maintenance in order to perform to their peak levels for a long time. Changing filters, cleaning the coils, inspecting and replacing the required parts – all of these would help avoid unwanted malfunctioning of the unit during the summer in Parker and even contribute to reduced energy bills.
Why Does My AC Unit Require Service?
As discussed above, it is essential to change and clean filters, in addition to taking care of the coils and fins of your unit to help it perform efficiently and ensure that it consumes less energy. Different parts of the air conditioner require different maintenance services such as:
- Filters: This is the part, which would require frequent attention. You can either hire home AC service professionals in Parker or do it yourself AC repair if you know how to handle the task confidently. Every two weeks, the filter has to be cleaned to remove the clogs. Otherwise, this would reduce the inflow of cool air and outflow of the indoor hot air. This maintenance process would bring down your energy costs by anywhere between 5% and 15%. For a central unit of cooling system, filters are located along the length of the duct while the units in rooms have them mounted on the face of the unit. Based on the model of the filter, some have to be replaced over time while some others can be reused after cleaning. Depending on the level of dust in the air, a filter has to be cleaned at least once a month or once every two weeks.
- Coils: There are two coils – the evaporator coil and the condenser coil – both of which are capable of accumulating dirt over the months. So, these parts require servicing or cleaning once a year in order to prevent soiling and compressor heating. Neglecting this would cause insulation in the coils, which would bring down the performance of your air conditioner.
Even outdoor condenser coils get extremely dirty, thanks to the foliage around. Falling leaves, dryer vents, lawn movers etc. are some of the potential sources of debris. However, this might require you to hire professional technicians from a reliable AC carrier service center. They may charge you around $80 to $100 per hour. Usually, such cleaning tasks don’t take more than an hour and a half.
- Coil Fins: There are aluminum fins located over the coils that are highly fragile and tend to bend and block the airflow, which again brings down the performance of your air conditioner. When you opt for an annual AC maintenance plan, the AC repair service experts will provide a ‘fin comb’, which is a tool that will hold back the fins in their original shape and out of the way. However, make sure you hire a licensed professional who understands how to handle the unit with care.
- Compressor Overheating: There are various indications when a compressor overheats and stops working one fine day. A hissing noise, no cooling effect, power tripping, the AC getting switched off after a while you’ve turned it on – all these are some of the symptoms that your compressor unit or a mechanical part in it has malfunctioned. This certainly calls for professional help.
Whom Should You Hire?
While it is the best choice to opt for an annual maintenance contract offered by a reliable home AC service company, you should
- Make sure they are insured and licensed;
- AC service cost is nominal, ideally between $80 and $100 per hour;
- Make sure the pros inspect every element including the motor and worn out parts, apart from checking refrigerants, duct leakage and the electrical system.
Identifying trouble before it arises and fixing it would keep you and your family comfortable and happy while ensuring that your AC works to its best capability.